Development and History
- 33MHz 386 Processor
- 4MB RAM
- 40MB Hard Drive Free Space
- VGA-Grade Graphics Card.
- CD-ROM Drive or 3.5" Floppy Drive, depending on Install Method.
Differences over Windows 3.x
- Windows 95 is a Full 32-Bit Operating System, supporting Pre-Emptive MultiTasking
- Came on either CD-ROM, or 3.5" Floppies
- Start Button
- Hardware Plug and Play support
- Software Registry, that eliminated the need for per-program INI files to store settings.
- MS-DOS 7.0
- New GUI
- Recycle Bin, for recovering accidentally-deleted files (Almost like the MS-DOS Undelete Command)
- Full TCP/IP Support.
- VFAT, That allows more characters (Up to 256) on a FAT16/FAT32 Disk Volume for a filename (which includes the File Extension, compared to Windows 3.1, that only supports a Maximum of 8 characters for a filename, and a Maximum of 3 for the File Extension.
- Internet Explorer 3.0 (Included In Version B, version C shipped with IE4)
- FAT32 (In Versions B and later)
- USB Support (In Versions B and Later, provided as a Stand-Alone Installer)
- New Safe Mode Diagnostic Operating Environment
|Windows 95 Version List|
|Windows 95 Version List: Base | A | B | C | D|
|Complete Microsoft Windows Service Pack List|
|Complete Microsoft Windows Service Pack List:
Windows 95: SP1
Windows NT 3.1: SP1 | SP2 | SP3
Differences between Windows 95 and Windows 3.1
Windows 95 is a major upgrade over Windows 3.1. Windows 95 is a 16/32-bit hybrid operating system, meaning it can run 32-bit applications as well as 16-bit ones. However, it is not compatible with Windows NT, its pure 32-bit Cousin.
- 32-bit front-end
- A new file system (FAT32) that support filenames up to 256-characters long
- A new shell (That would later be ported to Windows NT 4.0)
- Windows 95 is unstable if 512MB or more RAM is installed.
- Cannot use Software Higher than:
- Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2
- DirectX 8.0a
- Windows Media Player 6.4
- MSN Messenger 5.0
|Microsoft Operating System Versions|
|Microsoft Operating System Versions:
Windows CE: 1.0 | 1.1 | 2.0 | 2.1 | 2.11 | 2.12 | 3.0 | 4.0 | 4.1 | 4.2 | 5.0
Windows Mobile: 2003 | 5.0
Previous Windows Codenames: Janus | Snowball | Kato | Daytona | Chicago | Memphis | Millennium | Cairo | Odyssey | Neptune | Whistler | Longhorn | Blackcomb